There is emerging evidence that social prescribing can lead to a range of positive health and wellbeing outcomes for people such as improved quality of life and emotional wellbeing. Schemes can involve a variety of activities which are non- clinical and are typically provided by voluntary and community sector organisations, or professional health and wellbeing coaches from your GP Practice. Examples include befriending, gardening, support with healthier eating, exercise, debt guidance and what’s important to you for your health and wellbeing.
The Social Prescriber can assist with a range of issues, helping you identify what matters to you, which could include assistance with:
- Being a carer
- Long term health conditions
You will be supported by either a professionally trained Health Coach or Link Worker on a one to one basis:
- Health Coach – Works with you to identify ‘What Matters to you’ to improve your wellbeing, up to 6 sessions per referral
- Link Worker – Works with you to identify resources that can improve your personal wellbeing
The above roles will support you by understanding your values and interests and help structure your decision making, recognising you as the expert based on your skills, confidence and knowledge to improve your mental and physical wellbeing.
This is done by:
- Improving knowledge, confidence and skills to self-manage
- Behaviour change and personalised goal setting
- Creating a safe, comfortable and independent environment to live in
- Navigating Social Services and / or organising care
- Signposting to other support networks / services
- Accessing local community groups and activities (knowing what is out there)
- Attending local community activities or recognised trained charities with the expertise to help you
- Assisting you to access professional services to help your personal circumstances.
Jurassic Coast PCN has a growing social prescribing team who have supported thousands of people throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
To access the service, contact your local practice or email JCSocialPrescribing@dorsetgp.nhs.uk